Blue Ridge Music Center Program Assistant
Reports to Blue Ridge Music Center Program Director
- Blue Ridge Parkway Foundation Office - 717 S. Marshall St., Winston-Salem, NC
- Blue Ridge Music Center, 700 Foothills Road, Galax, VA
The Blue Ridge Parkway Foundation operates the music programming for the Blue Ridge Music Center located at milepost 213 on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Music programming at the Blue Ridge Music Center is managed cooperatively by the National Park Service and Blue Ridge Parkway Foundation with a mission to document and interpret traditional regional music, offer visitors opportunities to hear and learn about this music, and orient visitors to other musical and cultural attractions in the region.
This position will assist in the production, presentation, programming and promotion of roots and traditional music heritage programs and events (concerts, performances, workshops, and exhibits) at the Blue Ridge Music Center and partner locations throughout the region.
The Program Assistant will work with the Program Director and in coordination with Blue Ridge Parkway Foundation staff (Finance Director, Communications Director, Volunteer Coordinator, etc.) with the following tasks:
- Assist with producing and presenting BRMC Music Programs as noted above - concert set-up, production, & event operations (at Music Center and other venues throughout the region)
- Assist with managing BRMC volunteers (Midday Mountain Musicians & Concert volunteers)
- Help to staff tent/table at various events (MerleFest, HoustonFest, National Folk Festival, etc.)
- Assist with booking, programming, and preparing contracts for the Roots of American Music Concert Series, Midday Mountain Music Program, & other special events and/or exhibits
- Assist with sponsorship solicitation, agreement, and activation
- Assist with ticket sales
- Assist with partnership development, agreement, and implementation
- Assist with developing content (bios, images, videos) for BRMC Website and Program Guide
- Assist w/marketing and promotion of BRMC; including writing media/press release(s), coordinating radio and print media advertising, and social media posts
- Analyze demographic data from advance ticket sales, email database, and sign-in sheets
- Manage e-mail database
- Other duties as assigned
- The applicant should have proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel and Word) and social media platforms
- A positive attitude and a friendly and pleasant demeanor are required for this position that will interact on a daily basis with park staff, musicians, volunteers and visitors
- An ability to be flexible and respond to emerging needs to ensure the highest quality experience possible for visitors and artists
- Weekend and nighttime work (concerts & meetings)
- Strong organizational and planning skills
- Self-motivated and able to work independently, yet comfortable working effectively in a team-oriented environment
- Must pass a criminal background check
- Must be able to lift 40 lbs.
- Degree in relevant field of study
- Video editing, and/or experience in Adobe software programs (InDesign, Photoshop, etc.)
- Relevant musical background
- Event and production experience
- Program management or oversight experience
- Supervisory experience
How to apply
Send cover letter and resume to Carolyn Ward at email@example.com. Applications sent directly through job search engines will not be accepted. This position is open until March 17, 2017.
Program Assistant position is a salaried one-year, part-time position that does not provide health benefits. However, the title, salary, and length of position could change based upon meeting or exceeding performance expectations and funding. The starting salary is $16,000 – $20,000 depending on experience.
About the Blue Ridge Music Center
The Blue Ridge Music Center is one of the major attractions along the Blue Ridge Parkway and includes state-of-the-art performing arts facility built to preserve and promote the historic music of the Blue Ridge Mountains. The Blue Ridge Music Center features the award-winning, interactive Roots of American Music exhibit, open daily from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., and Midday Mountain Music performances by local and regional musicians, daily from noon to 4 p.m. Both activities are FREE for visitors. The Blue Ridge region has produced more old-time and bluegrass musicians per capita than any other region and serves as the epicenter of many of America’s living music traditions. The Blue Ridge Music Center is a major venue of The Crooked Road: Virginia's Heritage Music Trail and a partner venue of the Blue Ridge Music Trails of North Carolina.
The Blue Ridge Parkway Foundation is currently seeking a part-time Communications Intern in our Asheville office for spring or summer. The intern will work with the Communications Director to achieve the nonprofit’s communication goals.
- The Communications Intern will work in the Asheville office at 322 Gashes Creek Road, Asheville, NC 28803.
- Paid internship (stipend)
- 15-20 hours a week
- Write press releases for Foundation, the Kids in Parks program, and the Blue Ridge Music Center
- Update website and social media
- Research media contacts
- Compose story pitches
- Write blog posts
- Photograph Parkway for marketing purposes
- Attend events
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Current college student pursuing a degree in public relations, communications, marketing, the environment, nonprofit management or other related study
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Passion for the outdoors and the Parkway a plus
- Experience working with InDesign and Photoshop a plus
- Basic video recording and editing skills a plus
How to Apply: Email résumé, cover letter, and two writing samples to Clary Powell Pickering.