Big Ron Hunter 2.jpg
The Blue Ridge Parkway Foundation and Blue Ridge Music Center are launching free Milepost Music presentations on rotating Sunday afternoons at popular destinations along the Blue Ridge Parkway.
These intimate outdoor concerts will showcase regional musicians playing traditional music at Humpback Rocks, Peaks of Otter, Roanoke Mountain Picnic Area, Mabry Mill, and Doughton Park. The first session is from 1 to 3 p.m., Sunday, June 5, at the Peaks of Otter at milepost 86 in Bedford, Va.
Performers include The McKenzies, Twin Creeks Stringband, The Bouncers, Big Ron Hunter, Ashlee Watkins & Andrew Small, Harmony Hill, Beverly Street String Band, His and Hers, Root 2 Music, Eric + Addie, Uncle Henry’s Favorites, and more.
Milepost Music sessions are offered from 1 to 3 p.m., on the following dates, from June through September.
- Humpback Rocks, milepost 5.8 (near Visitor Center & Picnic Area), Virginia. Third Sunday of the month (June 19, July 17, Aug. 21, Sept. 18)
- Peaks of Otter, milepost 85.6 (near the Peaks of Otter Lodge), Virginia. First Sunday of the month (June 5, July 3, Aug. 7, Sept. 4)
- Roanoke Mountain Picnic Area, milepost 120.4, Virginia. Third Sunday of the month (July 17, Aug. 21, Sept. 18)
- Mabry Mill, milepost 176.1 (in the Old Mill Village), Virginia. Second Sunday of the month (June 12, July 10, Aug. 14, Sept. 11)
- Doughton Park, milepost 241 (near the lodge at Doughton Park), North Carolina. Fourth Sunday of the month (June 26, July 24, August 28, September 25)
Milepost Music is a collaboration between the Blue Ridge Music Center, Blue Ridge Parkway Foundation, and National Park Service.