The application period for this position has closed.
Reports to Director of Kids in Parks
Position based in South Carolina
General Description & Summary:
The Blue Ridge Parkway Foundation, a 501(c)(3), is seeking a qualified Program Manager for our award-winning Kids in Parks program. This individual will join a successful and motivated team dedicated to engaging kids and families in outdoor recreation activities that foster lifelong wellness and meaningful connections to parks, public lands, and nature. The ideal candidate will have previous success in a full range of communications, including designing educational materials, engaging partners, and working collaboratively with multiple stakeholders, and will help lead the program’s expansion in South Carolina. Please visit www.KidsInParks.com for additional information about the Kids in Parks program.
Since 2009, Kids in Parks has partnered with national parks, state parks, city/county parks, and other types of public land sites to create a national network of family-friendly trails called TRACK Trails. Over the past decade, kids have completed more than one million adventures on the program’s 230+ TRACK Trails, which are located across 15 states and Washington, D.C. As a further sign of the program’s success and positive impacts, Kids in Parks has been featured in numerous research studies and reports focused on parks, recreation, and public health. The Kids in Parks program is headquartered in Asheville, North Carolina.
Kids in Parks – South Carolina Expansion:
Over the next four years (and beyond), the Kids in Parks program will be expanding its network of TRACK Trails, TRACK Rx sites, and program participants in all 46 counties in South Carolina. Kids in Parks will partner with key stakeholders in each region of the state (e.g., public land managers, healthcare providers, school nurses, public health officials, county managers, city administrators, and other community organizations) to identify and act on the best opportunities for program expansion. Each of the state’s four Department of Health and Environmental Control (DHEC) regions will receive similar project benefits each year, with particular attention paid to underserved communities.
The South Carolina Program Manager will be responsible for coordinating all aspects of the Kids in Parks program expansion within South Carolina. These duties include: coordinating regional stakeholder meetings, forming official partnerships with park agencies and healthcare organizations, conducting on-site meetings with public land managers and healthcare providers, developing graphic materials (trailhead signs, self-guided brochures, etc.), and promoting/marketing the program throughout the state.
Work closely with the Kids in Parks team and Program Director to:
- Help establish the future direction of the program expansion in South Carolina
- Work with partnering agencies to form partnership agreements
- Maintain the program’s website with site-specific information, news, special events, and more
- Design self-guided educational materials, including signs and brochures that appeal to kids (concept, research, layout, editing, print, etc.)
- Work professionally with public land staff to develop, edit, and finalize trail materials
- Develop, edit, and produce public communication pieces, including monthly e-newsletters
- Coordinate and attend special events
- Attend and participate in Blue Ridge Parkway Foundation board, committee, and staff meetings
- Conduct professional presentations (meetings, conferences, etc.)
- Prepare periodic reports
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- BA or BS in relevant program or at least four years of equivalent work experience
- Expertise in Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator, and/or other design software
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Strong oral and written communication skills (conference presentations, speeches, high-level staff meetings, etc.)
- Experience working collaboratively with and among different socioeconomic groups, demographics, industry sectors, and/or political jurisdictions
- Experience in communicating natural resource topics to the public (personal or non-personal interpretation/outdoor education)
- Experience working professionally with park personnel and/or public health personnel
- Website maintenance experience
- Enthusiasm for the mission-driven work of the Kids in Parks program
- Exceptional planning and organizational skills
- Valid driver’s license
Starting Salary: $38,000 - $42,000 depending upon experience, plus health insurance and 401(k) benefits
Diversity, Equity & Inclusivity Statement:
The Blue Ridge Parkway Foundation (“Foundation”) aspires to be an inclusive organization that engages and serves the rich dimensions of diversity, such as race, gender, ethnicity, sexual identity, socioeconomic status, age, ability, and religion. Diverse people make the Foundation a stronger, more vibrant, more relevant, and more stable organization, better prepared to achieve its mission through diverse input and more effective outcomes.
Send your cover letter and résumé to admin(at)kidsinparks.com. Applications submitted directly through a job search engine will NOT be accepted. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or national origin. Applications are due September 9, 2022.