Hours: Full-time, seasonal
Reports to: Blue Ridge Music Center Program Director
Primary location: Blue Ridge Music Center, at milepost 213 on the Blue Ridge Parkway, Galax, Virginia
General Description and Summary
The Blue Ridge Parkway Foundation, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, is seeking a qualified Interpretive Partner Ranger to join a successful and motivated team dedicated to safeguarding the future of the Blue Ridge Parkway. The Partner Ranger will ensure consistent visitor services and interpretive programming is provided to the public, with a specific focus on the Blue Ridge Music Center (BRMC) and the surrounding area. The addition of this position would also serve to expand capacity for greater on-site interpretive activity such as presentations, community outreach, and support for concert programs. For additional information about the Music Center, visit BlueRidgeMusicCenter.org. For details about the Blue Ridge Parkway, a national park unit, visit www.nps.gov/blri/index.htm.
This position will augment and expand direct visitor services and interpretation at the Blue Ridge Music Center. This individual will be responsible for providing day-to-day visitor information either in addition to or in place of National Park Service (NPS) staff. This position will also expand capacity for collaborative interpretive projects and programming between the NPS and BRMC/BRPF staff. Tasks include providing on-site assistance for NPS seasonal staff working in close coordination with the NPS District Interpreter. Although formal supervision of NPS staff, including performance review or scheduling, is NOT be a requirement of this job, leadership capabilities are desirable.
Major Areas of Responsibilities
Work closely with BRMC staff of the Blue Ridge Parkway Foundation, the NPS interpretive staff, and the NPS District Interpreter (supervisor) to:
- Provide routine visitor services including answering questions, providing directions, and assisting with orientation.
- Work collaboratively with BRMC staff and NPS staff to develop and implement interpretive programs, projects, and/or materials.
- Assist in the coordination and production of musical programming including Midday Mountain Music live programs and concerts.
- Carry out routine operating functions such as daily opening and closing procedures.
- Communicate routinely with BRMC staff, NPS on-site staff, and the NPS District Interpreter on project coordination and daily duties.
- Assist and schedule visitor tour groups, such as organized bus tours, as needed.
- Provide interpretive and outreach support for BRMC programming in communities, as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Experience in creating and delivering interpretive materials and/or programs.
- Excellent interpersonal (both oral and written) communication skills, including customer service skills.
- Exceptional planning and organizational skills.
- Enthusiasm for the mission-driven work of the BRPF and the NPS.
- Enthusiasm for music and cultural arts.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a team and independently.
- Experience in Microsoft Office.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent related experience and/or training.
- Leadership abilities to provide guidance and team support.
- Experience working in or with any of the following:
- National Park Service
- Blue Ridge Parkway Foundation
- Environmental, arts, music, or cultural heritage nonprofits
- Visitor or tourism service industry field
- Ability to play an instrument and/or knowledge of musical traditions of the region.
- Experience or familiarity with and use of social media platforms for visitor information and education.
Hours: Full-time, seasonal (hire date through October); weekend hours required; evening hours likely on weekends; must be willing to adapt weekly work schedule on occasion.
Location: Duty station based at the Blue Ridge Music Center (near Galax, VA), occasional travel may be required.
Special Considerations: Candidates must be willing to interact with the public and follow CDC-recommended precautions related to COVID-19.
Salary: Commensurate with experience
To Apply: Send a cover letter and résumé directly to email@example.com. Applications submitted directly through a job search engine will NOT be accepted. This position is open until filled.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, or gender identity), national origin, disability, age, or genetic information.