The Blue Ridge Parkway Foundation (BRPF) is seeking an Associate Director to support the work of the Program Director for the Blue Ridge Music Center (BRMC). The BRMC Associate Director will assist the Director in developing, administering and managing programmatic activities, including the Roots of American Music Concert Series, Midday Mountain Music, special events, exhibits & programs at the BRMC, located on the Blue Ridge Parkway at Milepost 213 just south of Galax, Virginia. As a facility, the BRMC is managed and operated by the National Park Service/Blue Ridge Parkway and is a major venue on the Crooked Road: Virginia’s Heritage Music Trail and partner venue of the Blue Ridge Music Trails of North Carolina. It operates through a formal partnership with the Blue Ridge Parkway Foundation, a nonprofit that manages the performance and special events programming at and related to the site.
This position requires a proven ability to facilitate collaborations among multiple partners. Primary responsibilities include: fundraising including sponsorship development and grant writing; program and concert production and oversight; volunteer management; administrative management; partnership development and facilitation; and marketing and public relations.
The successful candidate for the position will have a knowledge of and/or interest in traditional Appalachian music and culture, proven leadership skills, and a strong emphasis on fundraising and partnership development. The candidate will demonstrate an entrepreneurial spirit with the ability to understand the strategic vision for the Music Center, and the skills and motivation to execute that vision. Creative problem solving coupled with a proven collaborative track record will enable the candidate to operate successfully with multiple partners, communities, states and the National Park Service (NPS) to outline and accomplish mutual goals and objectives.
Major Areas of Responsibility:
- Maintaining a cooperative working relationship with the NPS/Blue Ridge Parkway personnel involved with the management, operation and development of the Music Center
- Assisting in the continuation and refinement of the strategic plan for the Music Center focused on fiscal sustainability and maintaining high quality musical programs and other related activities
- Helping to design and implement a development/fundraising plan for the BRMC including sponsorship, donor, and grant development
- Working with the BRPF Finance Director regarding all administrative tracking of BRMC financials including grants, sponsorships, and donations, as well as artist contracts, deposits, fees and payments, media and promotional partnership agreements and production, and support staff compensation
- Working with the Program Director to oversee and conduct programming and related operations at the Music Center including: planning and producing the weekly, summer Roots of American Music Concert Series; the daily, live Midday Mountain Music presentations, and conceiving and producing other special programs
- Conducting outreach and formation of partnerships and collaborations necessary for the success of the BRMC
- Working with the Program Director to prepare budgets and other periodic financial and narrative reports for Parkway Foundation management and Board of Trustees
- Performing administrative tasks including: answering phone and email; processing season ticket and season pass sales; maintaining data analysis of various aspects of operations
- Serving as a liaison with key partners and staff including the NPS and BRPF
- Represent the Foundation and the BRMC in a professional and appropriate manner
- Develop, supervise, and train a corps of on-site volunteers
- Conduct marketing and public relations duties as required including writing press releases, cultivating media relationships, and designing ads
- Other duties as assigned by Program Director and/or BRPF management team.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field or demonstrated equivalent experience;
- Five years experience in similar or related position;
- Excellent personal communication skills (written, verbal, and listening) are essential;
- Excellent teamwork skills;
- Proficient computer skills including Microsoft Office and Adobe InDesign;
- Preferred experience working with/for nonprofit organizations;
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Exhibit an enthusiasm for and knowledge of traditional roots music of the Blue Ridge Mountains;
- Proven fundraising and sponsorship development experience.
Reports to: Blue Ridge Music Center Program Director and Blue Ridge Parkway Foundation CEO
Hours: Full time with evening and weekend work required, especially during the summer concert season
Salary & Benefits: Salary range $40,000- $45,000 commensurate with experience, plus health benefits
This position is open until filled. To apply, please email your résumé and cover letter to: Carolyn Ward, Blue Ridge Parkway Foundation Chief Executive Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or national origin.